Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Who are you? A Marketer?

I have spent 4 or 5 years in the marketing world trying to run one or more home based businesses. Like most, I have been unsuccessful - that is, I have spent lots of money without earning any.

During this time I have been taught - and tried to learn, with some success - skills and techniques such as:
writing copy
writing attention-getting headlines
using, reading phone scripts that require little or no thought
setting goals
taking action, daily, to reach those goals
being persistent
finding a market
picking a product
acquiring and using tools and software to automate the process
developing a system
advertising hows and wheres, media, etc.
duplicating one's self
getting a coach and a mastermind team
etc.

All of these are helpful, important, and certainly generate income for the proponent and purveyor of each.

However, there is a fatal flaw. None of them address the key to all activity, and that is, "Who am I? How do I define myself? How does the 'I' relate to all of the tools? In doing any of these activities, do they enhance or detract from who I perceive myself to be?"

So the first question we must ask a potential marketer is: "Who are you? Do you know who you are? (And are you OK with that?)"

The second question then becomes: "Are you willing to change your definintion of yourself to become someone who can do what it takes (above?!) to become a marketer?" Or, perhaps better, "Are you willing to let go all of the lies and false perceptions about yourself that you allow to be your definition of yourself and discover who you really, truly are? And having done that, will you be willing to let yourself be open and seen and attractive to other people who need and want what you have to offer?"

So to become a marketer, first know who you are and embrace that. Acknowledge that. Love that.

Next, know that What you market is YOU! That will reflect as some product to which you are drawn: a nutritional product, or a service or whatever; something that resonates with you based on you, not because of the product itself.

At some point you well begin to measure results. Earning extra income is, after all, the purpose. Here again, though, keep the focus on the right place. Results are not best measured on reaching goals or counting the number of dollars brought to the bank account (my apologies to Dan Kennedy, a man I consider a mentor, who makes carts full more than I do). Rather, results should first be measured in terms of how much closer I (you) have moved today toward affirming, confirming, more deeply manifesting, who I am and am becoming.

Personally, these last "unsuccessful" years have reflected my confusion about who I truly am, confusion about my definite chief purpose in life (a "Napoleon Hillism"). In that mindset I could barely attract and could certainly not keep clients or dollars. I wanted not their money but their approval. Now, in accepting and approving myself, by living in and from the strength of who I am, I not only attract peole who want and need what I have to offer them, but they also leave dollars on the table on the way out. More than that. I can now easily accept those dollars as a reflection in their minds of my value to them.

As T. Harv Eker says, "my outer world reflects my inner world". We need to spend less time on technique and more time on the inner world.

No comments: