Tuesday, July 03, 2007

What Makes It Tick (Lessons in Marketing AND Life)

I was speaking with a Massage Therapy friend/mentor recently. He dropped the bomb that he was going to sell his spa. My first thought was, "How can he do that? That would be giving up his Gift, his Calling." And selfishly, I thought "That would take him away from me and he would not be available for consulting, mentoring, setting the example."

You have to understand, this man is unique in his ability to facilitate healing, to connect to persons, to teach those of us on the path behind him. To lose him would be a HUGE blow not only to me but to the population as a whole and to massage therapy as an industry.

But I kept my thoughts to myself and asked him to explain. His response was, "Our [MLM] is taking off, we are making enough that I don't need the spa, and I can finally just focus on the helping people heal that I have always wanted to do."

I was blown away! Here is a friend who is finally achieving the freedom of which I and many others have dreamed and for which we have worked and struggled for months and years.

This is so exciting! What an example. And at the same time, what a kick in the pants (as my Gramp used to say)! My next question had to be:

"What is your secret?"

Meaning - what are you doing that I haven't yet been able to do to see the same results in my own attempts at MLM (or whatever).

His reply included,
- Support from my upline
- The product really works
and he kind of passed it off, not talking about his efforts or himself.

But as we talked some more I realized what the real Secret is to his success, or to mine, or to anyone's. It is not just that the product has to be good - there are lots of those. It is not just that the upline has to be supportive - there are a few of those.

No. The real secret is HIMSELF, his character. He is a Caring, Compassionate, Gentle, Loving Soul in whose presence you simply feel warmed and welcomed and nurtured and loved. He is not full of sales techniques or dynamic charisma or product knowledge. He is not a big salesman.

He connects, lovingly, sincerely, without judgment to the you that you are.

Which is why he is such a good teacher, why I cherish him as a mentor/teacher, why I love to just spend time chatting and listening to him.

Would you, like me, care to become a successful, dream-fulfilling marketer in whatever venture you have chosen?

Become a Loving Connector to others.

1 comment:

Chuck Bartok said...

Dt Jon,

PURE GENIUS and marvelous insight.

Your friend expressed the ability all mankind is Born with...It is inherent to the Human Mind.

Don't forget to point your avid readers and clients to the Focus Society of Overachievers

http://focussociety.com

You Good news merchnat Friend
CeeBee