Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Business is really business

Yesterday a friend spent some time with me, being concerned and caring for me, presenting another business opportunity. For that I am very thankful, especially that he cares about me. Incidentally, the biz op would probably be a good one, a money saver and a potential money maker.

However, the experience taught me something I think profound; something that my friends in the STAR-LINK community probably long ago figured out.

Let's go back to business being business. We spent a couple of days talking about business plans. Let's take it a step further.

Most "real" businesses have two separate departments that get new business. One is called "Sales". The other is called "Marketing". They really are very different parts of the process. Marketing brings people into the "funnel" to use Joe Schroeder's term; Sales makes the close somewhere along the line.

You all are laughing that the "newbie" thinks that is profound when you knew it all along. Me too. I'm laughing to realize it took this long for me to figure it out. Have to thank Joe, though, that it came at all.

Here's the really profound part: I am going to call the business MLS or MultiLevel Selling. Network Sales. The presentation, very good though it be, was all about selling. Wasn't about marketing at all. Honestly, I got pretty uncomfortable - people don't want to be sold, remember? Me neither. I was ready to join up right up front when my friend was being my friend and before he went into selling mode.

We could talk hours about this, though I don't have to. Joe has done it already. (http://www.jonmoreshead.com for info and how to get it). But here's what I take away from this, for me:

Don't sell. Be a Network Marketer.

Be a FRIEND!!!!!!

Blessings,

Dr Jon
MD - Doctor-in-training of Marketing
Star-Link University
Currently enrolling - welcome to the class
http://www.yourgrowthmatters.com

No comments: