Saturday, January 13, 2007

But Doc, I Can't Write a Business Plan!

My older brother, the businessman of the family, has been after me for a couple of years to write a business plan. You see, my son Philip and I operate a lawn/landscaping service which began as his high school job and escalated into the family business. Because of its history and evolution, it has never had a proper foundation: no funding, no marketing, no advertising, so consistent sales (GREAT service, though) and - no surprise! - no money! So my brother's advice was to get it on its proper footing. Write the business plan, make yourself presentable, go through the hoops, run the business like it is supposed to be run.

Know what? That is GREAT advice. Just one problem. I hate the thought of writing a "Business Plan". Sounds like too much work, too much financial stuff. How can I know what my income MIGHT be two years from now?

So I haven't written it (until now!! Yeah!!). Just floundered along, scraping by, uncomfortable but not uncomfortable enough to do something better, to grow myself, to get real with myself. Hurting my son and my family by not doing well. Looking for other ways to generate an income, like MLM or Internet Marketing.

Question: is it wrong to do MLM or Internet Marketing?
Answer: NO, NO, and NO!
Better Answer: If you are going to do any business, MLM or otherwise, do it right! Write the business plan.

Now some of you in MLM already are likely to be thinking, as I, that you don't need a business plan. Just follow the directions your company tells you. Use their plan.

Wrong.

Their plan is to get unfocused people like you and me to join. They are following their plan. They just made us employees without any benefits. Worse than Wal-Mart. Am I upset at them? Yes and No. Yes, because they could do a better job at telling us what we really are. No, because where else can I "own" a company for a few hundred dollars that has the potential to earn me thousands and millions of dollars? Talk about ROI!

BUT... It will only do that if I make my business my BUSINESS. How do I do that? First, write a plan. Second, stick to it.

Tomorrow I'll show you how I wrote my plan. But here's a little preview and a hint (maybe with this hint you can figure out what I am going to say): don't call it a "business plan".

Blessings,

Dr Jon
Stay Ahead of the Curve - www.jonmoreshead.com

1 comment:

Chuck Bartok said...

Holy Cow, A person with great insight into the Reality of Busines!
Funny Dr. Jon how many people are running around saying they are in Business and don't have a clue.
See it on the Internet Everyday. Own your own business, click here, send your credit card #, no need to call anyone, do anythig and you will wnjoy the New Jag, just like me.
Except they left out the importnat Part.
Can't wait for more
Chuck & Shirley