Sunday, January 14, 2007

Business Plan Part 2 or 3 Easy Steps to Rethinking the Plan

We mentioned yesterday, rather pointedly perhaps, that you and I need a Business Plan to keep our business on focus, be it MLM or Internet Marketing or any "Brick and Mortar" business. Most of us, though, don't like doing the exercise of thinking (did I really say that??), or of thinking ahead, or of coming up with numbers and projections, or perhaps of "tooting our own horn" even.

Maybe I just gave you a full frontal picture of my brain and personality!

Regardless, here is what I did that made writing a plan a lot of fun.

I changed the name of it. As you know, words tell. I realized that the business plan really has three main sections:
  1. What you want to do, the big picture (need, market, research, exit strategy)
  2. How you are going to do it, pieces of the picture (tools, people specifics needed)
  3. Steps along the way to get the pieces done (dollars, projections, balance sheet)

So, looking at that I realized those could be translated into:

  1. Vision
  2. Goals
  3. Action Steps
Now I'm talking my language! I can think in terms of Vision:
  • I am helping other entrepreneurs build their business, or
  • I am helping other people to improve their health, physically, emotionally, spiritually, financially
All my mentors and the motivational speakers who speak into my life talk about goals and being specific:
  • I am generating $XX per month in my MLM business by 31 Mar 07
  • I am working through my Blackman leads each month
  • I am setting up a retail leg for my MLM business and selling XX units per week by 31 Jan 07
  • I am marketing to previous massage clients with new offers each month
  • etc. (the list can get pretty long)

Now I'm cookin'! This is getting fun.

Finally, action steps. What do I do every day to advance me along the path I have just laid out?

  • I am calling XX leads each and every day
  • I am writing X pages per day in my book
  • I am posting to my blog each day
  • I am sending a postcard to XX leads each day as a means of follow up to continue the relationship I am building with them
  • I am posting to safelists each day
  • I am writing a new ad/headline each day to use in various postings
  • I am talking to/writing to my mentor each day
  • I am listening to the great Joe Schroeder and other mentors each day
  • I am doing the necessary inner work, exercises, growing activities each day that help keep me on focus and committed
  • I am reading Think and Grow Rich each day
  • I am spending time in Scripture each day
  • etc.
  • etc. (again the list gets long)

May have to make some weekly or just focus on what can be done in the time available or.......
May have to allot more time to the business! (Less sleep, less TV - what? you're meddling again Doc)

Regardless, the action steps move me toward the goals previously written which in turn begin to complete the larger vision.

Will the bank give you money on this? Probably not. Wouldn't be too hard, though, to put some actual dollars into it. And you probably should. Know how much to spend on leads, on mailings, on copies, etc.

Will it keep you on your game? I think so.

Help me out.

Let me know.

Blessings,

Dr Jon
JUICEr
Join Us In Celebrating Excellence (a Schroederism)
http://www.jonmoreshead.com
http://www.beingwork.com

No comments: